Saturday 19 September 2015

June is for Interviews

March, April and May I must have repressed from my memory, for all I remember is having two weekly recurring supply jobs in the most horrific classes imaginable.

In June, my agency called me with an interview for a job from September to Christmas - covering a maternity leave.

In England a teaching interview involves planning and teaching a lesson, which is observed by the headteacher and whomever else is involved in the hiring process. Afterwards, you have a tour of the school and a sit down interview.

For this interview, I was told to plan any type of lesson I like. As I feel my strength is in literacy, I created a short lesson on parts of speech using one of my favourite poems, The Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll.

I created this notebook presentation go go along with my lesson. Clicking on the picture starts an audio reading of the poem! It takes about 10 seconds for the audio to begin after clicking.



Students searched through the poem to find examples from each part of speech: nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs.


 I created differentiated worksheets for the children to fill in, and an extension task. The extension task is quite fun and gets the children to come up with a definition for two of the 'nonsense words' in the poem!


Click here for the resources! (worksheets, success criteria, poem, and poem with support)

Leave me a comment if you found this resource helpful, or if you have any questions about it!

At the end of the interview I was offered a position on the spot! Plus, instead of just working until Christmas, they wanted to hire me to work for the whole school year. I was extremely excited, especially because we had just moved to a new flat that was very close to this school. I would be a year 3 teacher come September.


Here are some snaps of the new flat that I would live in for the next 15 months!





Yes, that is the oven on top of the counter...




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment