Wednesday 16 September 2015

Worldly Wednesday: Rome, Italy

In February 2014 I took a trip to Rome with two of my Canadian teacher friends. Traveling to mainland Europe from the UK is amazingly inexpensive! We spent a little over $400 for flights and 4 nights in a hotel through a package deal.


We arrived in Rome and promptly got lost. Good thing we had a map and a Rome travel guide. My two friends examined the map while I wandered around this beautiful fountain, I'm helpful like that.

 
We discovered that we were right across from a basilica that was designed by Michelangelo.


We felt ambitious, so we walked to the Vatican City to visit St. Peter's Basilica (about a 45 minute walk from the centre of Rome). We walked everywhere while we were here. 

We climbed all the way up to the top.


After we climbed back down (and had a big drink of water) we went to find the Swiss Guards to ask for an invitation to see the Pope's address later that week. I ended up asking on my own because my friends were too afraid. 



The next day we went to visit the Trevi Fountain.





We also visited the Pantheon.


The following morning we woke up very early to walk back to vatican and see the Pope. We also tok this time to visit the vatican museums and see the Sistine Chapel.


Today was also my birthday! We went out for a very delicious Italian food and drank some wine. We ended up walking back to the Trevi Fountain to take more pictures and get some gelato for dessert. 



Our last day in Rome we finally got to the Colosseum.





Afterwards, we toured the Roman Forum. It was unreal walking down the same 'streets' the Julius Cesar and Cleopatra wandered down in the past. I was incredible excited to be able to stand in the auditorium where Caesar was murdered and see the site of his cremation.






One last view over the city.





That's all for today! I am excited to start up these Worldly Wednesdays again! I will add a link up for next weeks post! I can't wait to see what in the world you have been up to!






post signature

1 comment:

  1. I loved seeing all of your photos! I definitely am going to link up next week!
    -Lisa
    Barton's Buzz

    ReplyDelete