Sunday 29 September 2013

I'm Still Alive!

Hello there! I know it's been forever since I've made a post (Sorry!), I have been so busy with my first few weeks of work, and I've been neglecting taking pictures.

Teaching has been going well so far, I am getting a lot of positive feedback! My agency had a workshop and social evening yesterday to allow us an opportunity to meet the other Canadian, Australian, and Irish teachers. As I was talking with my consultant, he told me that one of the schools I've worked for only requests me now when they call!

The supply situation here is very different than back in Canada. Each school board does not have a specific 'supply list' that they must offer jobs to first and do in a particular manner. Here, each school has their own person in charge of obtaining cover teachers, and they may pull from any agency. If you as a cover teacher do a good job and the school really likes you, they will call your agency and request you personally.

I'm quite proud of the fact that I've been able to attain this status at a school after only being there for two different days.

I was also called in to a secondary school this past week (cue the horror movie music). I'd been told a lot of negative things about secondary schools and students from people I know around my area, so I was really nervous going in to it. Luckily, I emerged unscathed and the school even wanted to hire me full time at the end of the day. My consultant kindly declined on my behalf (cue sigh of relief).

I've been doing some fun non-teaching related activities as well. Last weekend my housemate and I took a trip into Norwich, where I finally tried eating at a Nando's (which is a big chain here, and I believe there are a few in Canada too - and the USA). Of course, I've also been to a few pubs... you know to, um, experience the culture...

I haven't taken any pictures this week, but last week I did manage to finally find the Lowestoft beach, so I will share a few of those pictures with you.




This is the paved area leading to the boardwalk. There are fountains in the ground that shoot straight up in different patterns.







This wind turbine reminds me of home.




Well, there you have it! I hope to be back to blogging more frequently now. I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekends!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Cute beach area! How's the weather? Our weekend was like the summer - twenties and sunny! Miss you.
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather here hasn't been super warm or super cold, just nice. I think on Saturday it was around 17 or 18? I miss you too!

      Delete